Unlawful Acts and Personal Safety
If You Witness a Crime
- Do not attempt to apprehend the criminal or interfere with the crime, except in the case of self-protection.
- Do not block a perpetrator’s avenue of escape. Instead, get a good description of the perpetrator, note their direction of travel, and obtain vehicle information.
- Do not follow the perpetrator. Let the perpetrator leave the scene. If followed, the perpetrator may panic and cause you harm.
- Call Emory Police at 911 from any campus phone or 404.727.6111 as soon as possible and report the crime. If requested, stay on the line with the 911 operator if you are in a safe location, and provide:
- Exact location/campus of the incident.
- Nature of the incident.
- Description of person(s) involved.
- Description of property involved.
Making Emory Safer
The Emory Police Department is located in Suite G-01 of the North Decatur Building and provides twenty-four-hour help and protection. Everyone is asked to assist in making the campus a safe place by being alert to suspicious situations and promptly reporting them.
- Do not let people into a locked building or office unless you work with them or they have been properly identified. If the person gives you any problems, call Emory Police at 911 from any campus phone or 404.727.6111.
- Always keep office doors locked when you are working alone.
- Don’t investigate a suspicious person or noise by yourself.
- In the event that you notice a person who is demonstrating behavior that is suspicious or receive a suspicious phone call, contact Emory Police.
- Know where the campus emergency “blue light” phones are located and choose the most traveled paths when walking. Find the closest emergency phone.
- Contact Emory Police Department at 404.727.6115 to schedule a Crime Risk Prevention Workshop for your group.
- Emory provides a security escort service. If you feel uncomfortable walking alone at night, call 404.727.8005.
Download the Personal Safety card (PDF 28.2KB)